Author Archives: Mark Paradies
What can you learn from a 1964 video?
How they viewed human performance was certainly different.
What do we know that helps us do better today?
Could better root cause analysis have helped them then? After all, an engine failure in a helicopter is a serious accident to blame on the pilot.
This article in the Houston Chronicle about and FDA audit and problems left unsolved at Blue Bell Ice Cream should convince people that thorough root cause analysis and implementation of effective corrective actions is needed to prevent business disasters.
Find out how TapRoot® can help you solve problems by reading this link:
When you attend the 2015 Global TapRooT® Summit, there is information you must know before you travel to Las Vegas.
1. PREPARATION: Review your current performance improvement program and find gaps that you would like to improve in the next 12 months. There is a diagram of improvement program elements above to get you thinking about your plan and potential gaps. Also, read Chapter 6 of your black TapRooT® Book. Hopefully, the sessions you chose to attend will help you learn valuable information that will take your improvement efforts to the next level.
2. NETWORK: Come prepared to network. BRING BUSINESS CARDS
3. DRESS: Pack the right cloths. Dress will be business casual for attendees and business for speakers. Also, if you are often cold, bring a light jacket or sweater. Hotel conference facilities are usually kept cool to keep attendees awake!
4. FOOD: Breakfast and lunch are supplied at the Summit and at the pre-Summit courses. There will also be food and drink at the Wednesday night reception.
5. RECEPTION: Plan to attend the Wednesday night TapRooT® Summit Reception at Margaritaville. There will be live music, food, and drinks. It is a great place to meet and make friends. Your spouse is invited too.
6. BE ON TIME: Don’t miss the OPENING WELCOME at 8 AM on Wednesday. You will have three people looking to meet you during THE NAME GAME and a reward for completing the game. Also, you will get a ticket for a prize drawing whenever you are on time for a session.
7. CONSIDER BRINGING A LAPTOP: Some sessions have exercises that may require a laptop or tablet. Also, you will be able to log into the new software at the Thursday morning breakfast.
8. KNOW ANYONE WHO SHOULD ATTEND? There’s barely enough time to register but if someone really needs to improve their improvement efforts, they should attend the 2015 Global TapRooT® Summit. Recommend it to them and send them this link for more information:
9. BREAKFAST ACTIVITIES: Breakfast on Thursday and Friday is from 8 to 9. On Thursday, the breakfast activity will be a Version 6 TapRooT® Software trial. If you want to learn more about the TapRooT® Software, come to breakfast at 8 AM. On Friday, there will be breakfast table discussions about a variety of topics. Arrive at 8 AM to pick your table/topic and participate in the discussion/networking event.
10. DON’T LEAVE EARLY! Friday is an important day at the Summit. The Gap Analysis Session will help you design the improvement to your improvement program in 2015/2016. And the final speaker is Captain Richard Phillips. (The real guy, not the movie actor who played him in the hit movie.) Don’t schedule your flight until the afternoon. Or stay until Saturday and have time to meet and talk with Captain Phillips after his presentation.
11. QUESTIONS? Drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for reading these brief instructions. Look for more details in the meeting instructions you will get from our meeting planner.
Looking forward to seeing you at the 2015 Global TapRooT® Summit …
Could root cause analysis help learn more from this accident? How about a Safeguards Analysis before you hunt?
Is your day worse than it was for this bus driver?
When a major accident happens, look out. The tradition is for “heads to roll.”
That’s right, people get fired.
Who get’s fired? Those that are seen as “part of the problem.”
You need to be part of the solution.
Investigate the incident using the TapRooT® Root Cause Analysis System, find the real, fixable root causes, suggest corrective actions that will prevent the problem from happening again, and be ready to help implement the solutions.
Then you are part of the answer … Not part of the problem.
Or you could just sit around and wait to get fired.
The choice is yours.
Get trained to use TapRooT® root cause analysis to solve problems. See:
Last week I had someone contact me on LinkedIn to ask if I knew of any free root cause analysis tools to use to investigate accidents.
Yup, they exist. But would you bet your career, your management’s future, and people’s lives on a free answer to significant problems?
Haven’t you heard the old saying:
You get what you pay for!
That got me thinking … How much money do companies lose choosing the cheapest answer rather than the best answer?
Not long ago I saw an article by equipment reliability expert Heinz Bloch about the the true cost of quality. It was an eye opener. (By the way, did you know that Heinz is presenting three talks at the 2015 Global TapRooT® Summit?)
And how many people have you seen that recommend cheap training answers for corrective actions that you know won’t be effective. The incident will happen again causes more loses.
I had someone else tell me that their company was saving money by not having people attend the 2015 Global TapRooT® Summit even though the Summit is guaranteed to produce a return on investment of 10 times the Summit’s cost. They are missing guaranteed improvements and falling behind those who aren’t:
Penny wise and pound foolish.
Don’t make the same mistake.
Adopt the best answer and save.
Attend the 2015 Global TapRooT® Summit on June 3-5 in Las Vegas. Register at:
Accident News: The Washington Times Reports “Amtrak train from D.C. derails in Philadelphia; 6 dead, dozens injured”Posted: May 13th, 2015 in Accidents, Current Events
I read an article in the Houston Chronicle about failed corrective actions at Blue Bell® Ice Cream.
It made me wonder:
“Did Blue Bell perform an adequate root cause analysis?”
Sometimes people jump tp conclusions and implement inadequate corrective actions because they don’t address the root causes of the problem.
Its hard to tell without more information, but better root cause analysis sure couldn’t have hurt.
Find out how TapRooT® Root Cause Analysis can help find and fix the root causes of problems by reading about TapRooT®’s history at:
Need a new approach to your corrective actions?
Need a boost for your creativity?
Need to THINK DIFFERENT?
That’s right, you get a $200 discount when you attend both!
What if you could bet on a “sure thing.” That wouldn’t be gambling … it would be better than investing!
What if you passed up a sure thing that cost your company, thousands, hundreds of thousands, or even millions of dollars? After all, how much money can your company afford to lose?
Consider this … the 2015 TapRooT® Summit comes with a money back guarantee.
Attend the Summit. Go back to work and apply what you’ve learned. If you don’t get at least 10 times the return on your investment, simply return the Summit materials and we’ll refund the entire Summit fee.
It’s that simple. It’s that risk free.
How can System Improvements offer such an iron clad guarantee for the TapRooT® Summit?
We have been holding the Summit since 1994 and we’ve seen the amazing improvement that people accomplish with the best practices and advanced knowledge they learn at the Summit. We know you can achieve similar results and so the guarantee is our way of encouraging you to bet on a sure thing!
One more thing. Saving money is good. But can you put a price on the lives you will save with the improvement you make?
REGISTER TODAY because the Summit is coming up quickly (June 3-5) in Las Vegas. For more information about what you will learn, the speakers, and the sessions, see:
Do you have incidents that happen over and over again?
Do you have repeat equipment failures?
Does your hospital have similar sentinel events that aren’t solved by your root cause analysis?
How much are these repetitive problems costing your company?
Stop making excuses and try something NEW that can help you stop repetitive problems…
IDEA #1: Attend at TapRooT® Course to stop repeat incidents.
Choose from the:
- 2-Day TapRooT® Incident Investigation & Root Cause Analysis Course
- 3-Day Equifactor®/TapRooT® Equipment Troubleshooting & Root Cause Analysis
- 2-Day TapRooT® Healthcare Root Cause Analysis Course
- 5-Day TapRooT® Advanced Root Cause Analysis Team Leader Course
These courses are guarantee to help you find root causes that you previously would have overlooked and develop corrective actions that both you and your management agree are more effective.
IDEA #2: Attend the Creative Corrective Actions Course.
Hurry, this course is only offered on June 1-2, prior to the TapRooT® Summit. If your creativity for solving problems is getting stale, this is the course you need to attend.
IDEA #3:: Attend the 2015 Global TapRooT® Summit in Las Vegas on June 3-5.
The Summit is a proven place to network and learn valuable best practices that can help you solve your toughest problems. Each Summit is unique, so you don’t want to miss one. And this year’s Summit is rapidly approaching. Register today at:
Click below to download a report from the European Major Accidents Reporting System (eMARS) about contractor related safety.
STOP is a strong word.
We can’t guarantee that you will be able to stop all human errors. But you can stop some types of errors. You can reduce the likelihood of other types of errors. And you can use Safeguard Analysis and defense in depth to keep errors from becoming major accidents.
Want to learn these valuable lessons? Are you ready to start a human performance revolution at your facility? Then attend this new course developed by Mark Paradies and Joel Haight:
You will learn why people make mistakes.
ou will learn that human errors can be predicted and prevented.
You will learn the latest techniques being used in the nuclear industry (and which ones work and which ones don’t).
And much more.
But don’t delay. This course on June 1-2. It is the only course open to the public this year and the course is almost full.
Do you need to:
- Stop accidents
- Stop human error
- Prevent fatalities
- Prevent equipment failures
- Stop sentinel events
- Prevent series injuries
- Stop waste
- Prevent cost overruns
- Understand and minimize risk
Get the details and download the brochure at:
Don’t wait! There’s still time to register. The Summit and Pre-Summit training are on June 1-5.
Improving usually entails one of two things:
- Don’t something you already do better.
- Doing something new that is better than what you have done previously.
But where can you learn new best practices that you haven’t tried before?
The 2015 Global TapRooT® Summit being held in Las Vegas on June 1-5.
Get more information at: