10 Most Popular OSHA Violations – And Mark’s Comment
The 10 most frequently sited OSHA Violations from October 2005 – September 2006 are:
1. Scaffolding–General Requirements (1926.451) with 7,895 violations
2. Duty to Have Fall Protection (1926.501) with 5,746 violations
3. Hazard Communication (1910.1200) with 5,586 violations
4. Respiratory Protection (1910.134) with 3,410 violations
5. Lockout/Tagout (1910.147) with 3,068 violations
6. Powered Industrial Trucks (1910.178) with 2,582 violations
7. Electrical–Wiring Methods, Components, and Equipment for General Use (1910.305) with 2,396 violations
8. Machine Guarding–General Requirements (1910.212) with 2,296 violations
9. Ladders (1926.1053) with 2,115 violations
10. Electrical–General Requirements (1910.303) with 1,791 violations
Once you review this list you need to step back and try to assess ….
What Does It Mean?
Are these the biggest safety hazards in industry?
Or are these just the safety hazards that OSHA inspectors like to look for?
My belief is that Management and Supervision failing to enforce work standards, policies, and administrative controls is the BIGGEST workplace safety hazard. But I could be wrong. I don’t have a statistic for this.
What do I know? I know that all the violations listed on OSHA’s top 10 list are violations of standards, policies, and administrative control;s. It is doubtful that all these violations would be occurring if management was enforcing the rules.
What rules need better enforcement at your facility?
What can you do to improve enforcement and save lives?
Perhaps you should consider attending a 5-Day TapRooT® Advanced Root Cause Analysis Team Leader Training?
What does root cause analysis training have to do with enforcement of the rules?
The 5-Day TapRooT® Advanced Root Cause Analysis Team Leader Training teaches innovative guidance for positively enforcing the rules (rather than infrequently disciplining people for breaking the rules). A concept that many would benefit from trying.
Just one more reason to attend this excellent, guaranteed, root cause analysis training.