Five Steps to Improving Human Performance
How do you “fix” human performance?
First, let’s measure what happens that causes you to recognize a human performance problem (check all that apply):
- People in your organization make the same mistakes over and over or make the same type of errors repeatedly.
- Discipline is the main way you go about “fixing” human performance occurrences.
- You’ve experimented with techniques to improve human performance and discovered they don’t accomplish long-term results. Maybe a short-term improvement but nothing sustainable.
- You (or your management) actively search for solutions to human error issues.
If you’d like to learn sustainable best practices to improve human performance from industry human performance experts, implement this five-step plan:
1. Attend a 5-Day TapRooT® Advanced Root Cause Analysis Course
The TapRoot® Root Cause Analysis Training Course System is made to reactively and proactively help you solve human performance issues. The System has built-in human factors expert systems that guide you to the root causes of human errors and help you develop effective fixes. The 5-Day TapRooT® Root Cause Analysis Training Course is the best way to learn the system and get started fixing human performance issues. Also, read and learn from Barb Carr’s excellent article, “The Benefit of Task Analysis During an Investigation.”
2. Attend the Stopping Human Error Course
before the 2020 Global TapRooT® Summit
Join System Improvements Inc. President Mark Paradies as he shares basic and advanced knowledge of human error prevention in this 2-day course. The course, Stopping Human Error, is offered before the Global TapRooT® Summit.
Blame is common after an accident. After all, it’s a human error. It must be someone’s fault. Or is it? We have discovered that most errors are built into the system. You can find and fix the root causes of these system caused errors before an accident happens.
The goal of this course is to teach you to understand human error—including how humans operate and what our capacities, constraints, and needs are—so that you can maximize human performance and minimize human errors.
How do you “stop” human errors? By applying proven best practices to change the system and:
- Make mistakes less likely
- Create more effective Safeguards
- Add defense-in-depth
- Make errors recoverable
- Remove the Hazard or the Target when possible
Would you like to more effectively stop human errors? In a TapRooT® Stopping Human Error Course, you’ll learn how to do it by combining the latest human performance improvement tools.
In addition, you will develop a plan to implement the best practices you learn when you return to work.
- The causes of human error
- Human factors design best practices
- Methods to find error likely situations
- Techniques to help supervisors and workers prevent human errors
- CHAP (Critical Human Action Profile)
- Human Performance improvement Technology
- Designing your human performance improvement program.
You will leave this course with a clear understanding of methods to improve human performance and a plan to apply those methods at your company to achieve great gains in safety, quality, or operational and maintenance performance (all of which depend on human performance).
Participants will also receive the new book, Stopping Human Error, a $99.95 value, as part of the course materials. In addition, participants will receive a certificate of completion and a 90-day subscription to TapRooT® VI Software, our dynamic cloud-based software that computerizes the Equifactor® and TapRooT® Techniques.
3. Attend the Improving Human Performance Track
at the 2020 Global TapRooT® Summit
Once a year, we feature a track at the Global TapRooT® Summit designed to share best practices and the latest state-of-the-art techniques to improve human performance. The 2020 Summit is March 11 – 13 at Horseshoe Bay Resort, near Austin, Texas. Pre-Summit courses are March 9 – 10. The keynote speakers will also not disappoint.
Here are the sessions for the 2020 Global TapRooT® Summit Improving Human Performance Track (use the dropdown menu to select track).
- TapRooT® Users Share Best Practices
- Human Performance
- What’s Stopping Human Error All About?
- Automation & Awareness
- Lessons Learned from Space
- Improving Your Manufacturing Process
- CHAP Workshop
- Where Does Discipline Fit In Investigations?
4. Learn from the How to Stop Human Error Video Series
You can tell your employees to “be careful,” and even work with them on self-checking for errors . . . but people are really bad at self-monitoring. For a reduction in the number of mistakes your workers make, you need human factors solutions that prevent the opportunity for your workers to make errors.
We have some ideas. Click the image below to visit our YouTube channel and view the 4-part series, “How to Stop Human Error.”
5. Start where you are: Analyze your human performance issues and implement improvements with TapRooT® Training
TapRooT® Training is global to facilitate organizations needing to solve problems. For more than 30 years, we’ve developed and continually improved a powerful root cause analysis system supported by effective training and the patented TapRooT® VI Software. Industry leaders use the TapRooT® System to improve safety, human performance, equipment reliability, and quality by investigating precursor incidents before major accidents happen.
To facilitate problem-solving your human performance issues, you may choose from our complete schedule of public courses, or TapRooT® can provide training at your site to get the most people trained at one time. We can help you develop a roadmap for a world-class improvement program using TapRooT® advanced root cause analysis. Contact us or call us at 865.539.2139 to get started.
Join Us at the 2020 Global TapRooT® Summit
Look through the 2020 Global TapRooT® Summit SCHEDULE to browse the tracks. We invite you to learn more about the Summit below:
- View the 2020 Summit Brochure.
- Peruse and take advantage of the Pre-Summit Courses (March 9–10).
- Read the Summit FAQ.
- Check out the Summit venue—Horseshoe Bay Resort, near Austin, Texas.
- Save money! Register 3 or more attendees simultaneously for a discount. Also, save when you register for the 3-day Summit plus a 2-day Pre-Summit course.
- Use the Summit hashtag #taprootsummit to share your TapRooT® experiences—before, during, and after the Summit.