Is Your Root Cause Analysis Evidence-Based?
Is Your Root Cause Analysis Evidence-Based?
Benna Hughes interviews Barb Carr about basing your investigations and root cause analysis on actual evidence. Watch the video and see what they have to say…
Where can you learn more about collecting evidence, interviewing during an investigation, and root cause analysis? Several Places…
First, Sign Up for the TapRooT® Evidence Collection
& Investigative Interviews Webinar
Barb Carr will lead this 90-minute on-line webinar of evidence collection and investigative interviewing best practices. Topics scheduled for discussion include:
Topic 1: How to prepare for an interview
Topic 2: Structure an interview
Topic 3: Deal with reluctant witnesses
Topic 4: Develop questions
Topic 5: Use cognitive interviewing techniques to aid memory retrieval
Topic 6: Analyze verbal clues
Topic 7: Identify nonverbal clues
TapRooT® Root Cause Analysis Training is recommended but not required to attend this webinar.
See the link below to register for this webinar.
Second, Attend the TapRooT® Evidence Collection
and Interviewing Techniques to
Sharpen Investigation Skills
There is so much to remember during evidence collection … and so much to lose if you are not prepared.
- Ever have trouble completing a sequence of events on a SnapCharT® because you lacked pieces of information?
- How can you remember what to collect?
- What is an effective structure for conducting an investigation interview?
- How do you help witnesses to an incident remember important facts with better accuracy during an investigative interview?
- What is the best way to handle the challenges of preservation and contamination of evidence?
Module 1: Class Introductions and Investigation Skills Inventory
Module 2: Preplanning for Evidence Collection
- Write an Investigation Policy (a sample is provided)
- Consult Legal Counsel
- Prepare Investigation Kits
- Prepare Investigation Forms (samples are provided)
Module 3: Evidence Collection and the TapRooT® Process
- Where does evidence collection fit into the TapRooT® process?
- SnapCharT® – the central repository for evidence collection
Module 4: Scene Management
- Scene Management Priorities
- Collect Fragile Evidence
- Evidence Packing Guidelines
Module 5: Initial Site Visit
- Where to Begin
- What to Look for
- Sketches, Photography, Videotaping
- Document Equipment
- Collect PPE
- Collect Paper
Module 6: Use TapRooT® Tools to Collect Better Evidence
- Human Performance Troubleshooting Guide
- Collect Evidence with the Root Cause Tree® & Dictionary as guides
- Questions to ask during a walk-through
- Critical Human Action Profile (Task analysis)
Module 7: Effective Interviewing for Incident Investigation
- Memory and Observation
- The TapRooT® 12-Step Interviewing Process
- DeCoding NonVerbal Behavior
Third, Attend the 5-Day TapRooT®
Advanced Root Cause Analysis
Team Leader Training
The 5-Day Training is for people who investigate precursor incidents and, perhaps, major incidents (serious injuries, fatalities, major facility upsets, fires, and explosions, or significant environmental releases). The course covers the essential TapRooT® Techniques (SnapCharT®, Safeguards Analysis, the Root Cause Tree®, and the Corrective Action Helper®), and the optional tools (Change Analysis, CHAP, and Equifactor®) that are used in a complex investigation. In addition, the course covers advanced interviewing and information collection techniques and techniques to improve human performance. There are frequent exercises using the TapRooT® Software so that attendees leave with significant practice of the skills they will apply when they get back to work.
Day One (8:00 am to 5:00 pm)
- Class Introductions and TapRooT® Introduction
- TapRooT® System Overview – What You’ll Be Learning
- SnapCharT® Basics – Gathering Information
- SnapCharT® Exercise – Practice
- Causal Factors – Identifying the Errors
- Root Cause Tree® – Eliminating Blame
- Root Cause Tree® Exercise – On Your Own
- Corrective Actions – Developing Fixes
- Corrective Action Exercise
Day Two (8:00 am to 5:00 pm)
- Software Tips
- Generic Causes – Systemic Problems
- Enhanced Corrective Actions
- Preparing for Your Investigation
- Collecting Information
- Interviewing Exercise
- Interviewing Exercise (RCA)
Day Three (8:00 am to 5:00 pm)
- Management System & Changing Behavior
- Human Engineering
- CHAP & Exercise
- Change Analysis
- Change Analysis Exercise
- Analyzing Training Problems
- Putting It All Together
- Work Direction & Exercise
Day Four (8:00 am to 5:00 pm)
- Human Factors Jeopardy
- Proactive Improvement
- Auditing Using Safeguard Analysis
- Improving Procedures
- Water Hammer Exercise
- Presenting to Management
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Start Final Exercise (SnapCharT®)
Day Five (8:00 am to 1:00 pm)
- Safeguards Analysis
- Define Causal Factors & Find Root Causes
- Generic Causes & Develop Fixes
Course materials we provide:
- TapRooT® Major Investigations Book
- TapRooT® Essentials Book
- Laminated TapRooT® Root Cause Tree®
- TapRooT® Root Cause Tree® Dictionary
- Course Workbook
- Corrective Action Helper® Guide
Upon completion of the course, attendees will receive a certificate of completion and a 90-Day Subscription to TapRooT® Personal Software, our dynamic online software that guides you through the TapRooT® process with ease and efficiency.
GUARANTEE FOR THE 5-DAY TAPROOT® ADVANCED ROOT CAUSE ANALYSIS TEAM LEADER TRAINING: Attend this course, go back to work, and use what you have learned to analyze accidents, incidents, near-misses, equipment failures, operating issues, or quality problems. If you don’t find root causes that you previously would have overlooked and if you and your management don’t agree that the corrective actions that you recommend are much more effective, just return your course materials/software and we will refund the entire course fee.