Trending without Purpose just Creates “Big Clumsy Data”
As a TapRooT® Root Cause Analysis Instructor and person with a continuous improvement background, I often hear these questions when teaching …
“We collect lots of data, what should we be looking for?” STOP
“How do we link what we changed to if it worked?” STOP
“What would you define as a significant change?” STOP
STOP and go back 20 steps to figure out what is truly important to know …
- What does successful mean in numbers?
- Could you measure what is important today with the numbers you currently collect?
- What numbers should be tracked that would alert you that you must act now?
- What do you need to do to establish and track effective/ineffective change?
- What do you need to be able to do translate the numbers collected into a deliverable message to leadership and the frontline workers?
- Who should be inputting the daily numbers and who should be reviewing the numbers?
At the end of the day for whatever task that you are required to perform successfully, you should be able to …
- Prove based on reality in numbers that you have been successful.
- Be able to refute bad numbers that do not represent reality… no matter who made the chart.
Here are numbers with purpose …
- We offer our 2-Day Advanced Trending Techniques Course as a public course once a year as a Pre-Summit Course. Next year it’s scheduled for February 26-27, 2018
- In many cases there are only 2 or 3 of you at your company that need to run the numbers. This saves the company money to go to our Pre-Summit Course instead of setting up an Onsite Course.
- There will be 10-20 other attendees from other companies to talk bad numbers and good numbers. You will learn from each other.
Kevin McManus and I look forward to seeing you our Pre-Summit Trending Course.