Register Now: Virtual TapRooT® RCA Pre-Summit Courses: 3-Day Essentials, Risk Mgmt, Software, Evidence Collection, Mistake-Proofing, Equifactor®, and Stopping Human Error
Bring a team to the 2021 Global TapRooT® Summit and SAVE! Assign one or two team members to various virtual courses that your company needs.
Below are outlines of the Virtual Pre-Summit TapRooT® RCA courses to be held prior to the 2021 Global TapRooT® Summit (Knoxville, TN – June 14-18) and the benefits each course provides. This guide will help you pinpoint exactly which virtual course/courses you and your team should register for.
If you’re bringing a team and you identify multiple virtual Pre-Summit courses that fit your needs, assign one or two team members to each course on your needs list. The teams we’ve had do this have reported back that this led to broader exposure and real team-sharing when teams assembled back home. Everyone becomes an expert in a category! Plus you will save with multiple attendees…
Virtual 3-Day TapRooT® Root Cause Analysis Course
We are pleased to offer the virtual 3-Day TapRooT® Root Cause Analysis Course just before the upcoming 2021 Global TapRooT® Summit. The virtual 3-day TapRooT® RCA course will run from June 13 -15 (Sunday-Tuesday) and focuses on the essential TapRooT® Techniques needed to investigate precursor incidents.
The 5-Step investigation process simplifies the TapRooT® System to make the investigation efficient yet effective. The training equips learners to understand what happened, identify Causal Factors, analyze the Causal Factors using the Root Cause Tree®, and develop effective fixes using the Corrective Action Helper® Guide.
Attendees should bring an incident from their facility for a team exercise. These may be either written reports or they may have knowledge of an incident with no written report. We’ll divide into teams of 2-4 people and each team will analyze a different problem during the course.
Day One (9:00 am to 4:00 pm with a 1-hour lunch)
- Class Introductions and TapRooT® Introduction
- TapRooT® System Overview – What You’ll Be Learning
- SnapCharT® Basics – Gathering Information
- LUNCH (1-hour)
- SnapCharT® Exercise – Practice
- Causal Factors – Identifying the Errors
Day Two (9:00 am to 4:00 pm with a 1-hour lunch)
- Root Cause Tree® – Eliminating Blame
- Root Cause Analysis Team Exercise
- Lunch (1-hour)
- Corrective Actions (The Corrective Action Helper®)
- Generic Causes
Day Three (9:00 am to 4:00 pm with a 1-hour lunch)
- Putting It All Together
- Reporting – The Management Presentation
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Lunch (1-Hour)
- Final Exercise – Putting to Work What You Have Learned
- Final Exercise Management Presentation
The course will be given virtually using an online teaching platform. However, this will be a very interactive course. Each student must have their own computer, with a webcam on during the class, allowing them to see the instructor and interact with the class. There will be continuous opportunities for participation, with plenty of breaks to keep everyone engaged. Team exercises will be completed throughout the course and will utilize cloud-based TapRooT® Software.
- TapRooT® Essentials Book
- Laminated TapRooT® Root Cause Tree®
- TapRooT® Root Cause Tree® Dictionary
- Course Workbook
- Corrective Action Helper® Guide
Upon completion of the course, attendees will receive a certificate of completion and a 90-Day Subscription to TapRooT® Personal Software, our dynamic online software that guides you through the TapRooT® Process with ease and efficiency.
Post-Course Investigation Coaching
After the course is complete, the student can schedule an approximately 30-minute long review of their first application of the TapRooT® System to investigate an incident or to perform an audit.
A TapRooT® Expert will review the student’s SnapCharT®, Causal Factors, root causes (to ascertain the student’s knowledge base of the Root Cause Tree®) and corrective actions (use of the Corrective Action Helper®). The student may ask questions and receive advice to improve his/her expertise of the TapRooT® System in investigations.
We have found that this review and coaching is very valuable and provides one more virtual face-to-face learning opportunity after the information from the course has been allowed to sink in and then be applied in a real-world situation.
Save your spot!
Register yourself and your team for the Virtual 3-Day TapRooT® Root Cause Analysis Course, June 13-15. The course fee is only $1695.
If you register for the Virtual 3-Day TapRooT® Root Cause Analysis Course and the Virtual 2021 Global TapRooT® Summit, you will get a significant discount. Attend both for just $2320. That’s a savings of $470. But that’s only for those attending both the Virtual 3-Day TapRooT® RCA Course and the Summit. Register for both HERE.
Virtual Risk Management – Best Practices & Risk and Opportunity Based Thinking
In all your HSEQ risk domains and management Systems are you frustrated that the outcomes of your current risk assessments performed in your organization lack consistency, confidence, reliability, and accuracy?
Do you & your facilitators and participants of the risk assessments have the knowledge & skills to use the most effective RA methods and tools?
Risk & Opportunity Based Thinking (ROBT) & Risk Assessments (RA) are now recognized by new versions of ISO 31000 / ISO 45001 / ANSI Z10 / ISO 14001 / ISO 9001 / ANSI Z590.3 as definitely needed in each and every risk-informed decision-making process.
ROBT and RA need to be applied in all aspects of your business without being confused and undermined by subjective beliefs, biases, and risk perceptions.
The course has been continually improved. It still covers the core Best Practices that have made facilitation and participation in risk assessments as accurate and reliable as possible. As well, a number of other recent improvements include:•
- updates to the new Standards ANSI/ASSP/ISO 31000:2018 – RM Guidelines and IEC/ISO 31010:2019 Risk Assessment Techniques
- an interactive WORD template that takes the user through the risk assessment process and when completed serves as a diligent entry to your Risk Register or Risk Dashboard;
- a new emphasis on Risk & Opportunity Conversations ROC Talk as part of important Communication & Consultation aspects of the RM process.
- new neuroscience-based explanations of the variability of an individual’s risk perceptions and risk-taking; and
- each participant receives a USB stick with over of approx. 2 Gb of course handouts, copies of all slides, useful reference materials, and sample PPTX files accumulated and developed by the presenter over the last 30+ years of HSE Risk Management consultancy & training.
The presenter is Australian Jim Whiting, an international risk management expert, and long-time TapRooT® Instructor. Jim was a contributory member of the committee that wrote the first international risk management standard ISO 31000:2009 Risk Management – Guidelines, which has now become the USA Standard – ANSI/ASSP/ISO 31000:2018 Risk Management – Guidelines and CAN/CSA/ISO 31000.
The course is facilitated in a participative workshop format. Jim brings his risk management and root cause analysis experience and best practices from around the world (Australia/New Zealand, North America, Asia, Africa, and Europe) to this course. If you are interested in advancing the quality of your risk assessments in ALL risk domains, but particularly HSEQ, then attends and profit from this course.
|Day 1 (9:00 am to 12:00 pm, 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm with frequent breaks)||Day 2 (9:00 am to 12:00 pm, 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm with frequent breaks)|
|• Introductions & ZOOM groupings|
• Overview HSEQ Risk & Opportunity Management R&OM –
– contrast Risks and Opportunities.
• Purposes, Approaches, and Methods Strengths & Limitations – the basis for a new safety culture based on Safety II, Safety Differently and HOP principles and practices QUIZ 1
• ROBT Risk & Opportunity Based Thinking in ISO9001,ISO14001 & ISO 45001 & ANSI / ASSPZ10
• How to establish/compare your R&OM System to conform with Standards ANSI/ASSP/ISO 31000:2018, Z690.2 and CAN/CSA/ISO 31000 QUIZ 2
• Better Risk Communication & Consultation with ROC Talk
• Misuses of HSEQ Risk & Opportunity Management Language QUIZ 3
• Neuroscience-based explanations of the variability of risk perceptions & risk-taking
• R&O Identification incl. construction and use of R&O Scenario Maps QUIZ 4
(compare RCA Maps e.g. SnapCharT®)
• Exercise in R&O Scenario Mapping
• LUNCH BREAK
• R&O Analysis
– 3 levels of R&O Analysis
• How to ensure that the Matrix Method really works for you – DELPHI technique QUIZ 5
• Quantitative R&O Analysis
• Logic Trees and Bow-Ties
• Decision Trees
• Discuss use of methods of ANSI Z690.3 and IEC 31010: 2019
• Exercises in R&O Analysis
• Summary of Day 1 Topics
|• Revision of Previous Day 1 Topics QUIZ 6|
• Matching the R&OM methods and tools to specific risk questions and situations
• R&O Evaluation & R&O Owners QUIZ 7
• Risk tolerability criteria and frameworks at all levels personal / social / corporate / industry /national / international
• How to demonstrate ALARP – As Low As Reasonably Practicable & SOFAIRP
• Risk Treatment / Control Plans – Contrast Corrective Actions with Risk Controls & Opportunity Enablers
• Measures of Effectiveness of Risk Controls
• A new version of Hierarchy of Risk Controls – principles and applications – Optioneering QUIZ 8
• Exercises in Risk Evaluation and Risk Treatment / Control / Mitigation
• Record / Monitor / Review
• R&O Registers & Dashboards
• LUNCH BREAK
• Exercises with Attendees’ own examples
• Tips for Facilitating a R&O Assessment
• Successes and Traps in Setting up R&OM systems and R&OA processes to conform/comply with ANSI /ASSP/ISO 31000 Z690 & CAN/CSA/ISO 31000, ISO9001, ISO14001, ISO45001
• Summary of Course
• Optional Post Workshop Exercise & Mentoring / Coaching by email & 1 to 1 ZOOM meetings for individual assessment.
Register for RISK MANAGEMENT – BEST PRACTICES & ROBT RISK & OPPORTUNITY-BASED THINKING and the 2021 Global TapRooT® Summit.
Register for this just the Risk Management – Best Practices & ROBT Risk & Opportunity Based Thinking Course.
Virtual or In-Person TapRooT® Software Implementation & Application
Because the TapRooT® Software is constantly updated and this course brings you the latest information about the software, you could say this course is new every year!
Dan Verlinde, Vice President of Information Technology and Software Development and Angie Comer, Software Project Manager, will teach an in-depth look at the TapRooT®VI Software. Whether you are a System Administrator or a TapRooT® User, you will learn all the capabilities built into this amazing software. Don’t get just 10-20% of your software investment. Learn the full power of your TapRooT® Software!
Learn how to:
- Create your own Custom Tabs, fields, and pick lists.
- Design and build your own reports.
- Select Global preferences for your company, including Language options.
- Select SnapCharT® preferences for yourself.
- Use Optional investigation techniques.
Upon completion of the course, attendees will receive a certificate of completion and a 90-Day Subscription to TapRooT® VI, our dynamic online software that guides you through the TapRooT® process with ease and efficiency.
CLICK HERE to register for TapRooT® Software Implementation & Application Course and the 2021 Global TapRooT® Summit.
CLICK HERE to register for just the TapRooT® Software Implementation & Application Course only.
Virtual TapRooT® Evidence Collection and Interviewing Techniques to Sharpen Investigation Skills
Barb Carr will teach you the skills you need to gather the evidence that leads to a complete SnapCharT®.
There is so much to remember during evidence collection … and so much to lose if you are not prepared.
- Ever have trouble completing a sequence of events on a SnapCharT® because you lacked pieces of information?
- How can you remember what to collect?
- What is an effective structure for conducting an investigation interview?
- How do you help witnesses to an incident remember important facts with better accuracy during an investigative interview?
- What is the best way to handle the challenges of preservation and contamination of evidence?
Module 1: Class Introductions and Investigation Skills Inventory
Module 2: Preplanning for Evidence Collection
- Write an Investigation Policy (a sample is provided)
- Consult Legal Counsel
- Prepare Investigation Kits
- Prepare Investigation Forms (samples are provided)
Module 3: Evidence Collection and the TapRooT® Process
- Where does evidence collection fit into the TapRooT® process?
- SnapCharT® – the central repository for evidence collection
Module 4: Scene Management
- Scene Management Priorities
- Collect Fragile Evidence
- Evidence Packing Guidelines
Module 5: Initial Site Visit
- Where to Begin
- What to Look for
- Sketches, Photography, Videotaping
- Document Equipment
- Collect PPE
- Collect Paper
Module 6: Use TapRooT® Tools to Collect Better Evidence
- Human Performance Troubleshooting Guide
- Collect Evidence with the Root Cause Tree® & Dictionary as guides
- Questions to ask during a walk-through
- Critical Human Action Profile (Task analysis)
Module 7: Effective Interviewing for Incident Investigation
- Memory and Observation
- The TapRooT® 12-Step Interviewing Process
- DeCoding NonVerbal Behavior
You will also receive the book, TapRooT® Evidence Collection and Interviewing Techniques to Sharpen Investigation Skills, a $69.95 value when you attend this course.
CLICK HERE to register for the TapRooT® Evidence Collection and Interviewing Techniques to Sharpen Investigation Skills Course and the 2021 Global TapRooT® Summit.
CLICK HERE to register for just the TapRooT® Evidence Collection and Interviewing Techniques to Sharpen Investigation Skills Course.
Virtual Mistake Proofing & Corrective Action Writing Best Practices
Kevin McManus, Chief Excellence Officer for Great Systems!, experience TapRooT® Instructor, and member of the Malcolm Baldrige Performance Excellence Award Judge’s Panel can help you learn how to mistake-proof performance and write more effective corrective actions.
Why do you need to know? What does Kevin have to teach?
Ask these questions:
- How effective are the safeguards and countermeasures you use to minimize errors and risk potential each day?
- How often do the corrective actions you put in place fail to keep problems from coming back, again and again?
- Would you like to learn techniques for measuring and improving Safeguard and barrier effectiveness?
If you are looking to reduce the potential for daily process errors, and in turn, risk potential, this workshop is for you. If you have attended the TapRooT® 2-Day or 5-Day Course, the workshop concepts and tools will help you write more effective corrective actions to address the root causes that you have identified. The workshop content and exercises will also help you leverage the power of those ‘Needs Improvement’ (NI) root causes that you might have selected.
This workshop also explores the common types of work process and tool design flaws that contribute to human error, including fixes that fail. From a reactive improvement perspective, it gives you a coach and a practice field for learning to write more effective and sustainable corrective and preventive actions. If you want to proactively reduce the potential for errors and failures, this workshop gives you many best practices and assessment tools that can be used to improve Safeguard effectiveness and ‘mistake-proof’ your workplace.
All course participants will receive a 180-page, full color, course workbook, and a copy of the facilitator’s book, “Error Proof – How to Stop Daily Goofs for Good.”
In this workshop, you will learn how to:
- Use best practice approaches for mistake-proofing job tasks of any type
- Proactively identify and analyze error and risk potential in a systematic manner
- Better utilize the 32 TapRooT® NI root causes through benchmarking and best practice exploration
- Assess the relative strength of different corrective action and Safeguard options
- Write effective corrective and preventive actions that add value, reduce risk potential, and can be sustained over time
- Capture and use process-level error rates as leading indicators of potential risk levels and corrective action effectiveness
CLICK HERE to register for the Best Practices in Mistake Proofing & Corrective Action Writing Course and the 2021 Global TapRooT® Summit and SAVE $200.
CLICK HERE to register for just the Best Practices in Mistake Proofing & Corrective Action Writing Course.
Virtual or In-Person 2-Day Equifactor® Equipment Troubleshooting and TapRooT® Root Cause Analysis Training
Do you need to efficiently and effectively find the root causes of equipment failures to improve your facility’s equipment reliability? Imagine the downtime prevented, and money saved NOT having repeat equipment failures. If this sounds interesting (and worthwhile), then this completely revised course is for you.
The Equifactor® Techniques are based on the work of noted equipment reliability expert Heinz Bloch. The tools can be used by maintenance personnel, equipment reliability specialists, maintenance managers, or investigators who don’t have an extensive understanding of equipment engineering.
In two days, participants learn to use the Equifactor® Process (above) to troubleshoot equipment issues and find out what is causing failures. Then you will learn to use the TapRooT® System to organize the information you collect, identify the Causal Factors of the failure, and find the fixable root causes of the failure. Finally, you will learn to develop effective fixes to stop future equipment failures.
The tools you will learn include:
- Equifactor® Troubleshooting Tables – a systematic guide to troubleshooting common equipment problems.
- SnapCharT® Diagram – visualize and organize the information you collect to make what happened understandably.
- Root Cause Tree® Diagram and Dictionary – find the real, fixable root causes of human performance and equipment issues.
- Corrective Action Helper® Module – provides suggested corrective actions to help you develop effective fixes.
- Safeguard Analysis – helps define Causal Factors and develop effective corrective actions.
- Change Analysis – collect and understand information about problems caused by changes or differences in system, equipment, or people.
- Class/TapRoot® Introductions
- Understanding What Happened
- SnapCharT® Exercise
- Collecting Information
- Equifactor® Basics: Failure Modes & Failure Agents
- Equifactor® Basics: Troubleshooting Tables
- Human Errors
- Process Troubleshooting
- Seawater Pump Example
- Equifactor® Software
- Identifying Causal Factors
- Using the Root Cause Tree®
- Root Cause Tree® Walkthrough Exercise
- Root Cause Tree® Class Exercise
- Change Analysis
- Final Exercise – Putting What You Have Learned to Work
Upon completion of the course, attendees will receive a certificate of completion and a 90-day subscription to TapRooT® VI Software, our dynamic cloud-based software that computerizes the Equifactor® and TapRooT® Techniques.
The course materials include the book, Using Equifactor® Troubleshooting Tools and TapRooT® Root Cause Analysis to Improve Equipment Reliability, a TapRooT® Root Cause Tree®, the Root Cause Tree® Dictionary, and the Corrective Action Helper® Guide, a $129 value.
To sign up for just the 2-Day Equifactor® Course, CLICK HERE.
To sign up for the course and the Summit and save $200, CLICK HERE.
Virtual or In-Person Stopping Human Error Training
Do you want to achieve excellent human performance? Would you like to understand the methods you can apply to effectively stop major accidents and incidents by “stopping” human error? Do you need to understand what are the most effective human performance improvement techniques and which ones are counterproductive (yes, some techniques really don’t work)? If any of these questions received a “Yes!” for an answer, you should attend this course.
Mark Paradies, human factors expert and Board Certified Ergonomist (certificate #85) and Alex Paradies, experienced TapRooT® Instructor and Lean Transformation leader, will help you understand:
- The causes of human error
- Human factors design best practices
- Methods to find error likely situations.
- Human Performance improvement Technology
- Designing your human performance improvement program.
You will leave this course with a clear understanding of methods to improve human performance and a plan to apply those methods at your company to achieve great gains in safety, quality, or operational and maintenance performance (all of which depend on human performance).
Participants will also receive the new book, Stopping Human Error, a $99.95 value, as part of the course materials. in addition, participants will receive a certificate of completion and a 90-day subscription to TapRooT® VI Software, our dynamic cloud-based software that computerizes the Equifactor® and TapRooT® Techniques.
CLICK HERE to register for the Stopping Human Error Course and the 2020 Global TapRooT® Summit and SAVE $200.
CLICK HERE to register for just the Stopping Human Error Course.
See you at the Summit, either virtually or in-person. Register now!