Why Are We Restarting Public TapRooT® Root Cause Analysis Courses?
Restarting Public TapRooT® Courses
Why Are We Restarting?
I’ve had a couple of people e-mail me with this question:
Why are you restarting these courses now?
They are concerned about the Corona Virus and think that TapRooT® Training should remain shut down until it is “safe.” They ask:
Aren’t you concerned about the safety of your students and instructors?
Concern for Participant’s Lives
First, let me share that we are always concerned about the safety of our instructors and students. In general, training is a fairly risk-free activity.
The Corona Virus has added a new risk to all of our daily activities. We believe that our courses are not an especially large risk considering the precautions we are taking. These precautions include:
- Picking locations that are not hot spots and that have declining trends.
- Reducing the number of course attendees (maximum number of people in the course including the instructor is 15 for Calgary).
- Attendees will be spread out further than normal (distancing – 2 meters in Calgary).
- We won’t have group activities (exercises will be individual).
- We will follow local social distancing requirements.
- Lunches will be plated (no buffets).
- Participants are asked NOT to attend if they have any type of illness/fever or have had recent contact with a COVID infected person.
- Attendees are welcome to bring masks or their own hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes.
- We will be using a local instructor if possible (our instructor for Calgary is from Calgary).
We base these precautions on local guidance and law.
As you probably already know, getting accurate factual information about the virus and what precautions are effective is difficult. Even official guidance has changed dramatically over time and this has made everyone’s response more difficult. We believe precautions, like those provided above, will reduce the virus risk to levels that we believe are “safe.”
Concern for Saving Lives
As with any activity (even inactivity) there are risks. Why do we take risks in life? Because we perceive the benefit of the activity is worth the risk.
The benefit of attending TapRooT® Training is to learn a new, valuable system for preventing accidents and saving lives. Learning about advanced root cause analysis and applying what you have learned when you return to work can save people’s lives. I’ve had many TapRooT® Users tell me about the lives they have saved by applying TapRooT®. Watch this video to hear about TapRooT® Success Stories…
The longer we delay resuming TapRooT® Training, the more opportunities will be lost to prevent major accidents that result in fatalities and serious injuries. We believe the lives lost due to needless accident (accidents that could have been prevented by using TapRooT® to investigate precursor incidents) will far exceed the risk, that we believe is small, for attending one of our upcoming public TapRooT® Courses.
Thus, we believe that resuming training IS A LIFE-SAVING ACTIVITY.
Your Own Risk Assessment
We believe that each company must perform their own risk assessment for the restart of its operations. Every restart has some level of risk involved in resuming operations. Your leadership will need to decide if that risk is acceptable for the benefit that resuming operations provide to the world. These benefits include providing your employees with a way to earn a living and provide for their families.
We have decided that we believe the benefit (saving lives) of holding public TapRooT® Courses at the locations we have chosen is worth a small increase in risk.
We hope you will perform your own risk assessment. If you are in a high-risk pool of people that have specific health concerns, you may decide that the risk is too high for your attendance. But if your health is not compromised and you agree with us that your risk is small and the benefit of applying TapRooT® to stop accidents is great, we hope to see you in one of our upcoming public TapRooT® Courses.
Where are the Upcoming Public TapRooT® Courses?
Here is a list of our public TapRooT® Courses in June, July, and August:
- Calgary, AB, Canada – 2-Day – June 1-2
- Dallas, TX – 2-Day – June 24-25
- Edmonton, AB, Canada – 2-Day – July 9-10
- Houston, TX – 5-Day – July 14-18
- Adelaide, Australia – 2-Day – July 14-15
- St. John’s, NF, Canada – 5-Day – July 27-31
- Knoxville, TN – 2-Day Patient Safety – July 27-28
- Vancouver, BC, Canada – 5-Day – August 3-7
- Knoxville, TN – 2-Day Equifactor® – August 4-5
- Salt Lake City, UT – 2-Day – August 6-7
- Bogota, Columbia – 5-Day – August 10-14
- Knoxville, TN – 5-Day – August 17-21
- Brisbane, Australia – 5-Day – August 17-21
- Charlotte, NC – 2-Day – August 24-25
- Monterrey, Mexico – 5-Day – August 24-28
- Sao Paulo, Brazil – 2-Day – August 26-27
- Bogota, Columbia – 2-Day Equifactor® – August 26-27
For the course dates beyond August, see: