Active Listening Inventory
Are you a good listener? No one is born that way. Listening is a learned skill and practice makes perfect. Read through the following inventory statements and check for areas where you can improve your skills.
1. I listen without interrupting or finishing another’s sentences.
2. I am comfortable with long pauses in conversation.
3. I don’t “tune-out.”
4. I avoid distractions when listening.
5. I respond appropriately when someone is talking to let them know I am listening.
6. I am patient.
7. When someone is speaking, I am listening and not thinking of my next question or comment.
8. I am aware of my non-verbal messages as well as those displayed by others.