What Level of Root Cause Analysis Excellence Are You Shooting For?
Are the Goals for Your Root Cause Analysis High Enough?
You seldom achieve higher performance than the goals you set. This is true even for your root cause analysis especially if you want to achieve root cause analysis excellence.
If you shoot for your root cause analysis to be just good enough to pass a management review, sometimes you will pass and sometimes you won’t.
Therefore, we think your goal should be to achieve root cause analysis excellence. Root cause analysis excellence that is far better than your management expects. Root cause analyses that are so good that management praises the work you have performed.
Have we seen this happen? Yes!
Can you achieve it? Yes!
Achieving Excellent Root Cause Analysis
How can you achieve root cause analysis excellence? Read on for three great tips.
1. Choose an Excellent System
You will never achieve excellence with a mediocre root cause analysis system. 5-Whys, Fishbone Diagrams, and Cause and Effect just won’t do if you want to achieve root cause analysis excellence. They are the definition of minimal effort and an investigation that just gets by (sometimes).
What do you need? Advanced root cause analysis. Root cause analysis that covers all the fundamentals of root cause analysis plus MORE.
Where can you find a system that covers the root cause analysis fundamentals plus more? That’s easy! Attend a 5-Day TapRooT® Advanced Root Cause Analysis Team Leader Course and you will learn the essential techniques to find root causes plus MORE. You will go beyond the fundamentals. See the course outline HERE.
2. Grade Your Investigations
Achieving excellence requires continuous improvement. And continuous improvement requires an objective evaluation of the process and outcomes.
That’s why we developed an objective evaluation tool and built it into the TapRooT® Software so you can consistently evaluate the application of the root cause analysis tools and coach your investigators to produce even better (dare we say excellent) results.
Using this tool is taught in the 5-Day TapRooT® Advanced Root Cause Analysis Course.
3. Continuous Learning
You can’t achieve excellence without continuous learning. And we help provide that learning by sponsoring the annual Global TapRooT® Summit.
We just finished the 2021 Summit and have now started planning for the 2022 Summit that will be held on May 2-6 in Knoxville, TN, at the Knoxville Convention Center.
The Summit includes a track about incident investigation and root cause analysis best practices. What are the best practice breakout sessions in the track? Here is our preliminary list of topics and speakers:
- Better/Faster Investigations (Gard Clark and Patrick Fortune)
- Root Cause Analysis – What Doesn’t Work? (Heidi Reed and Reb Brickey)
- Amplify Your Listening Skills (Vincent Phipps)
- From New TapRooT® Users to Great Investigators (Stephanie Tipton and Doug McCormick)
- How SnapCharT®s Influence Corrective Actions and Impact Buy-In to Corrective Actions (Marcus Miller and Steve Swarthout)
- Fatality Investigations & Lessons Learned (Cory Wold, & Grant Ireland)
- Reporting & Trending Using the TapRooT® Software (Angie Comer & Dan Verlinde)
And if any of those topics don’t help you address your improvement challenges, there are topics in seven other tracks to choose from to help you learn what you need to continuously improve.
In addition, you will hear five great Keynote Speakers:
- Inky Johnson – You Can’t Be Stopped When You Are Truly Inspired
- Ken Futch – Take Your Best Shot
- What Senior Managers Want From Root Cause Analysis (Senior Manger TBD)
- Barb Carr – Emotional Intelligence & Root Cause Analysis
- Kirstie Ennis – Don’t Accept Limitations
Finally, we select special Pre-Summit 2-Day Courses to help you develop your skills. This year’s courses include:
- TapRooT® Executive Leadership Course
- Audits and Proactive Improvement Using TapRooT® RCA
- Analyzing & Improving Company Culture
- Getting the Most From Your TapRooT® Software
- Best Practices in Mistake Proofing & Corrective Action Development
- TapRoot® Evidence Collection and Interviewing Techniques
- Risk Management Best Practices and Opportunity Based Thinking
- Equifactor® Equipment Troubleshooting and Root Cause Analysis
- Stopping Human Error
- TapRooT® Root Cause Analysis Course
That’s a great list of Pre-Summit Courses and Summit Keynotes Speakers and Best Practice Breakout Sessions that you don’t want to miss. Plus, you won’t believe how motivated you will be to exceed the ambitious goals that you have set. We hope to see you and your improvement team there.
Set Your Goals High and Use TapRooT® to Achieve Root Cause Analysis Excellence
2020 seems like it was a lost year.
2021 is a recovery year.
Plan to set audacious goals for improving:
- Human Performance
- Asset Reliability
- Operational Excellence, and
- Root Cause Analysis
in 2022 by taking advantage of TapRooT® Training, Software, and the Global TapRooT® Summit. We know you will achieve root cause analysis excellence and see major improvements when you implement the best practices you will learn.