#1 Cause of Equipment Failure
Six Articles Say Operator Error is the #1 Cause of Equipment Failure
I Googled “Equipment Failure” and clicked on the leading articles. Six of the leading articles said the #1 cause of equipment failure was operator error.
I don’t know where they get their stats, but I agree. When we teach the 2-Day Equifactor® Equipment Troubleshooting a & TapRooT® Root Cause Analysis Course, we find that a majority of equipment failure related incidents don’t end up under Equipment Difficulty on the Root Cause Tree®, they end up under Human Performance Difficulty.
Why Equipment Failures Keep Happening
If you approach each equipment failure as an equipment problem, you can see why the problems keep happening over and over again. If you don’t fix the human performance difficulties, the same problems will keep happening.
Have your equipment troubleshooters been trained to look for and identify the causes of human performance difficulties (human errors)? If the answer is “no, ” perhaps it is time to get them some Equifactor® Equipment Troubleshooting & TapRooT® Root Cause Analysis Training?
What’s in the Equifactor® Course?
Here is the 2-Day Equifactor® Course outline…
- Understanding What Happened – SnapCharT® Basics
- SnapCharT® Exercise
- Collecting Information
- Failure Modes and Failure Agents
- Equifactor® Troubleshooting Tables
- Human Errors
- Process Troubleshooting
- Example: Troubleshooting a Seawater Pump
- TapRooT®/Equifactor® Software Introduction
- Identifying Causal Factors
- Introduction to the Root Cause Tree®
- Exercise: Walking Through the Root Cause Tree®
- Exercise: Teams Find Root Causes Using the Root Cause Tree®
- Change Analysis
- Change Analysis Exercise
- Final Exercise: Solving a Major Equipment Issue
The course materials include the book, Using Equifactor® Troubleshooting Tools and TapRooT® Root Cause Analysis to Improve Equipment Reliability, a TapRooT® Root Cause Tree®, the Root Cause Tree® Dictionary, and the Corrective Action Helper® Guide, a $129 value. The book includes a complete set of Heinz Bloch’s troubleshooting tables.
Upon completion of the course, attendees will receive a certificate of completion and a 90-day subscription to TapRooT® VI Software, our dynamic cloud-based software that computerizes the Equifactor® and TapRooT® Techniques.
Register now for an Equifactor® Course
The public Equifactor® Courses coming up in the next six months are:
- Bogota, Colombia – Jul 29, 2021 – 1-Day Spanish Equifactor® Course (must have already had the 2-Day TapRooT® Course)
- Bogota, Colombia – August 26, 2021 – 1-Day Spanish Equifactor® Course (must have already had the 2-Day TapRooT® Course)
- Bogota, Colombia – September 23, 2021 – 1-Day Spanish Equifactor® Course (must have already had the 2-Day TapRooT® Course)
- Houston, TX – November 3-4 – 2-Day Equifactor® Equipment Troubleshooting & TapRooT® Root Cause Analysis Training
- VIRTUAL – November 15-16 – 2-Day Equifactor® Equipment Troubleshooting & TapRooT® Root Cause Analysis Course
- Bogota, Colombia – December 3, 2021 – 1-Day Spanish Equifactor® Course (must have already had the 2-Day TapRooT® Course)